Hope Beyond The Grave
'Tis night, and the landscape is lovely no more;
I mourn, but, ye woodlands, I mourn not for you;
For morn is approaching, your charms to restore,
Perfumed with fresh fragrance, and glittering with dew:
Nor yet for the ravage of winter I mourn;
Kind Nature the embryo blossom will save,
But when shall spring visit the mouldering urn!
O when shall day dawn on the night of the grave!
'Twas thus, by the glare of false science betray'd,
That leads, to bewilder; and dazzles, to blind;
My thoughts wont to roam, from shade onward to shade,
Destruction before me, and sorrow behind.
O pity, great Father of light, then I cried,
Thy creature, who fain would not wander from Thee;
Lo, humbled in dust, I relinquish'd my pride:
From doubt and from darkness Thou only canst free.
And darkness and doubt are now flying away,
No longer I roam in conjecture forlorn,
So breaks on the traveller, faint, and astray,
The bright and the balmy effulgence of morn.
See Truth, Love, and Mercy in triumph descending,
And Nature all glowing in Eden's first bloom!
On the cold cheek of Death smiles and roses are blending,
And beauty immortal awakes from the tomb.
James Beattie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hope Beyond The Grave by James Beattie )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 April 1889 – 10 January 1957)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Queen Patrenialla - Part Three Continued, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- con man, lee fones
- I love Winter, but it's cruel احب الشتاء.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- And so we go on, Gina Borrebach
- Baby if this is love, Dorsey Baker
- Queen Patrenialla - Part 2 Continued, QueenPatrenia Turner, Royalt ..
- Mayling, Arno Le Roux
- Naming Our Wall, Arno Le Roux
- Oh Beautiful Arkansas, Dorsey Baker
- Those one thousand miles, MOHAMMAD SKATI