Hope Beyond The Grave
'Tis night, and the landscape is lovely no more;
I mourn, but, ye woodlands, I mourn not for you;
For morn is approaching, your charms to restore,
Perfumed with fresh fragrance, and glittering with dew:
Nor yet for the ravage of winter I mourn;
Kind Nature the embryo blossom will save,
But when shall spring visit the mouldering urn!
O when shall day dawn on the night of the grave!
'Twas thus, by the glare of false science betray'd,
That leads, to bewilder; and dazzles, to blind;
My thoughts wont to roam, from shade onward to shade,
Destruction before me, and sorrow behind.
O pity, great Father of light, then I cried,
Thy creature, who fain would not wander from Thee;
Lo, humbled in dust, I relinquish'd my pride:
From doubt and from darkness Thou only canst free.
And darkness and doubt are now flying away,
No longer I roam in conjecture forlorn,
So breaks on the traveller, faint, and astray,
The bright and the balmy effulgence of morn.
See Truth, Love, and Mercy in triumph descending,
And Nature all glowing in Eden's first bloom!
On the cold cheek of Death smiles and roses are blending,
And beauty immortal awakes from the tomb.
James Beattie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hope Beyond The Grave by James Beattie )
- In the memory of Faez, Nassy Fesharaki
- I Turned on the News Today, Vera Sidhwa
- From A Son To His Divine Mother(Saroda), Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Of the Depression, Javed Latoo
- Blue Eyes, Ronald Chapman
- A Tiny Plant, Manira Khan
- Pure femininity, Erato
- A Man's Oft-hidden Tears, Maurice Harris
- Contentment, Katherine Nordhaus
- The News Explained it to Me, Vera Sidhwa
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns