Home For Thanksgiving
The gathering family
throws shadows around us,
it is the late afternoon
Of the family.
There is still enough light
to see all the way back,
but at the windows
that light is wasting away.
Soon we will be nothing
but silhouettes: the sons'
as the fathers'.
Soon the daughters
will take off their aprons
as trees take off their leaves
Let us eat quickly--
let us fill ourselves up.
the covers of the album are closing
Linda Pastan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Home For Thanksgiving by Linda Pastan )
- Fearsome route, gajanan mishra
- मीडिया, Priyanka Gupta
- The Daughter of the Earth - 19, gajanan mishra
- सीने में आग भरो, Aftab Alam
- Annoyance Generator, Christopher Withers
- The Lass Of Alberry, Julian Mann
- The truant.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- All Is This World, Gbolagade Taiwo
- Feeling Alive, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reactions To A Poem, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(3rd April 19sixty)