1 On Linden, when the sun was low,
2 All bloodless lay the untrodden snow,
3 And dark as winter was the flow
4 Of Iser, rolling rapidly.
5 But Linden saw another sight
6 When the drum beat at dead of night,
7 Commanding fires of death to light
8 The darkness of her scenery.
9 By torch and trumpet fast arrayed,
10 Each horseman drew his battle blade,
11 And furious every charger neighed
12 To join the dreadful revelry.
13 Then shook the hills with thunder riven,
14 Then rushed the steed to battle driven,
15 And louder than the bolts of heaven
16 Far flashed the red artillery.
17 But redder yet that light shall glow
18 On Linden's hills of stainèd snow,
19 And bloodier yet the torrent flow
20 Of Iser, rolling rapidly.
21 'Tis morn, but scarce yon level sun
22 Can pierce the war clouds, rolling dun,
23 Where furious Frank and fiery Hun
24 Shout in their sulphurous canopy.
25 The combat deepens. On, ye brave,
26 Who rush to glory, or the grave!
27 Wave, Munich! all thy banners wave,
28 And charge with all thy chivalry!
29 Few, few shall part where many meet!
30 The snow shall be their winding-sheet,
31 And every turf beneath their feet
32 Shall be a soldier's sepulchre.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Hohenlinden by Thomas Campbell )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Gratitude, Mallika Achuthan Menon
- My Thoughts, Michael P. McParland
- Impact of snow climate., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- My limbs, gajanan mishra
- PARUI POLICE BRUTALITY, Bireswar Halder
- Sacred Kailas, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- VIRTUAL POET FRIENDS, Philo Yan
- The Imponderable, Sandra Feldman
- Arousal Of Energy, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Being Welcomed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak