Sidi J. Mahtrow
You're flying the 140,
Pull the nose up, up, up
The skin crackles and pops
Higher you raise the nose.
The frame shudders
How much more can you
Stand the plane on its tail
Until the stall?
Moments are like hours
Your hands sweat
Tense, you hold your breath,
Why are you doing this?
A final breath
Hard forward you push the stick
Right rudder, the plane spins
Down you come.
A perfect recovery.
You're solo-sailing the O'Day,
Wind's picked up to 30 knots off port,
Flying the 150 genoa, main fully out.
Hat blew off long ago,
Salt spray stings your eyes,
Wedged against the bench at 45 degrees,
Arm aches, tiller dancing in your hand.
If you come about,
You'll demast and sink.
You dropp the genoa.
Maybe reef the main later.
You're a moth circling the flame
Close, yet closer
The heat draws you near
Can you recover?
One more time around.
The Wasabi inflames
The sharp bite, is it pain?
Your nose is in flame, Eyes tear,
Top of your head's blown clear off.
You ask for more.
Wearing red shoes with four inch heels
Toes crammed into the pointy end,
Arch support, never,
Heels a flopping.
The 'bull' spins, bucks and spins again,
A puppet with head and arm cracking,
Legs splayed wide, holding on for life,
Just a few more seconds.
It's called the 'Handicap Principle'
You do it to prove
You are strong
In the face of adversity.
Sidi J. Mahtrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
On Match.com, lovers often are looking for 'chemistry'. Is this the chemistry they seek? The rush of adrenaline, the surge of testosterone occurs in both sexes.
Dario Maestripieri discusses it in his book, Games Primates Play. Basic Books, New York,2012.
Comments about this poem (Handicap Principle by Sidi J. Mahtrow )
- Prisoner's Song, Tony Adah
- Anticipation, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Dream, shakil ahmed
- My boat is sinking ever so slowly, JIBAN GOSWAMI
- You Can Lil story, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Exploitation, gajanan mishra
- Three Simple Words, Saturday Chikezie Promise
- Loving Others, Tom Zart
- Law Breakers, Tony Adah
- Our India is the best country of the who.., Mazid S Kazi , INDIA
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Men, Maya Angelou
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)