"Sit in my hand."
I can't see him,
but I hear him breathing
in the dark.
It's after dinner playtime.
hidden by trees and shrubbery.
He calls it hide-and-seek,
but only my little sister seeks us
as we hide
and she can't find us,
as grandfather picks me up
and rubs his hands between my legs.
I only feel a vague stirring
at the edge of my consciousness.
I don't know what it is,
but I like it.
It gives me pleasure
that I can't identify.
It's not like eating candy,
but it's just as bad,
because I had to lie to grandmother
when she asked,
"What do you do out there?"
"Where?" I answered.
Then I said, "Oh, play hide-and-seek."
She looked hard at me,
then she said, "That was the last time.
I'm stopping that game."
So it ended and I forgot.
Ten years passed, thirtyfive,
when I began to reconstruct the past.
When I asked myself
why I was attracted to men who disgusted me
I traveled back through time
to the dark and heavy breathing part of my life
I thought was gone,
but it had only sunk from view
into the quicksand of my mind.
It was pulling me down
and there I found grandfather waiting,
his hand outstretched to lift me up,
naked and wet
where he rubbed me.
"I'll do anything for you," he whispered,
"but let you go."
And I cried, "Yes," then "No."
"I don't understand how you can do this to me.
I'm only ten years old,"
and he said, "That's old enough to know."
Ai Ogawa's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Grandfather Says by Ai Ogawa )
- I choose nature to you, Vidura Prabhath
- [FIVE] - of roses in a decaying memory, Lenny Orlando Camacho
- My Winter Bed, BARRY WYATT JR.
- Forget You Not, Forget You Not, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Love Me, Love Me, You Just Love Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The sweetest song, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Be logic., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Loving Me, Leave Me Not, Desert You Not,.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- L'amour est un Triste Caméléon, Hebert Logerie
- स्वप्न, dhirajkumar taksande
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns