"Sit in my hand."
I can't see him,
but I hear him breathing
in the dark.
It's after dinner playtime.
hidden by trees and shrubbery.
He calls it hide-and-seek,
but only my little sister seeks us
as we hide
and she can't find us,
as grandfather picks me up
and rubs his hands between my legs.
I only feel a vague stirring
at the edge of my consciousness.
I don't know what it is,
but I like it.
It gives me pleasure
that I can't identify.
It's not like eating candy,
but it's just as bad,
because I had to lie to grandmother
when she asked,
"What do you do out there?"
"Where?" I answered.
Then I said, "Oh, play hide-and-seek."
She looked hard at me,
then she said, "That was the last time.
I'm stopping that game."
So it ended and I forgot.
Ten years passed, thirtyfive,
when I began to reconstruct the past.
When I asked myself
why I was attracted to men who disgusted me
I traveled back through time
to the dark and heavy breathing part of my life
I thought was gone,
but it had only sunk from view
into the quicksand of my mind.
It was pulling me down
and there I found grandfather waiting,
his hand outstretched to lift me up,
naked and wet
where he rubbed me.
"I'll do anything for you," he whispered,
"but let you go."
And I cried, "Yes," then "No."
"I don't understand how you can do this to me.
I'm only ten years old,"
and he said, "That's old enough to know."
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Grandfather Says by Ai Ogawa )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
Poem of the Day
- Each Day 2, Michael P. McParland
- Dreams to Follow, Peter S. Quinn
- Each Day, Michael P. McParland
- Leprechauns in Pop's Fedora, Donal Mahoney
- Dreamt Of You 4, Michael P. McParland
- Dreamt Of You 3, Michael P. McParland
- Search of quest, hasmukh amathalal
- Dreamt Of You 2, Michael P. McParland
- Hindutava, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Dreamt Of You, Michael P. McParland