You can feel them riding on your heels
but when you turn around
there's never anyone there.
I live in a ghost town,
everything looks closed-down.
The streets are always ghostly silent,
every house is always quiet,
and the school is boarded up,
they say the population is ten thousand
so where are they?
There's so much dust all around,
maybe they all turned to dust,
something brought me to this town,
There's a picture of these kids
floating away on balloons
'Building Dreams, ' the sign says,
oh, if only they knew.
They act like that's what happened to them,
but I don't believe it's true,
I think that there's a prison camp
hidden beneath the school.
I'm so glad I'm free from all of that,
but still every day
the deputy stops and asks,
'Are you trying to get away? '
I wonder who runs that school,
You can go in any store,
there are people at the desk
but every single cupboards bare
in every single house.
I wonder if behind that smile,
a handcuff holds them down
and behind those flowered curtains
sit the rulers of this town
How do they know where we are?
Cameras in the sky
every TV sits and watches
and the streetlights all have eyes.
I need to get away from this place,
but then where can you go?
The whole world has turned into a cage,
and we're prisoners, don't you know?
Of ghost-town stalkers.
I applied at almost every store
and at all the motels
they ask me, 'Will you be here forever? '
As if they couldn't already tell.
This place is a tourist trap
the locals are the slaves,
I wonder if any tourists come back
or if any get away.
Kelly Zion's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ghost-Town Stalkers by Kelly Zion )
- In Fantasia, Harry Freeman
- Its 3: 00 A.M, Ajay Vyas
- No Love Lost For My Questioning Love, Sfisesihle Nxumalo
- God's Kind Of Poetry, Brian Johnston
- earthenware are you?, Mandolyn ...
- light bulbs flicker for a reason, Mandolyn ...
- Through A Puppet's Eyes, Dilantha Gunawardana
- soon., Mandolyn ...
- Dragon King Daughter, Tim caffery
- LONE LADY, vidyut chakraborty
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Dream Keeper, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)