Free Mandela [ Nelson Mandela ]
I saw Mandela in the Strand
as near to me as you now stand,
in a Royal Visitor's car
with motorbikes on every hand
and agents everywhere.
I met Mandela for he smiled.
Welcome, Mandela! I went wild -
Great to see you! Very good!
as round me the policemen stood
and no one interfered.
The traffic was held up, perhaps.
It was a great security lapse.
The other Nelson just in view
I made friends with Mandela through
the window of the car.
There's a world leader: here am I.
We both can smile, we both can cry,
and then the traffic moved again
and I went on, my head held high
for I had met Mandela.
And as at last I moved along
I thought of Hamish Henderson
singing Free Mandela Free
Mandela as his opening song
at every revelry.
He still sings free Mandela though
the man is high up who was low
and I'll tell Hamish Henderson
and everybody else I know
I met Mandela.
Sally Evans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Free Mandela [ Nelson Mandela ] by Sally Evans )
- Gumsum Gumsum, Akhtar Jawad
- Workmates?, Over The Moon
- Some way or other, gajanan mishra
- A Piece Of My Love., Philip Mutuku
- I Am Time, Time, Indelible, Indestructib.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Cambridge -Seat of Learning., Geoffrey Fafard
- Disharmony......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Time Is Not Staying In Place, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)