Free Mandela [ Nelson Mandela ]
I saw Mandela in the Strand
as near to me as you now stand,
in a Royal Visitor's car
with motorbikes on every hand
and agents everywhere.
I met Mandela for he smiled.
Welcome, Mandela! I went wild -
Great to see you! Very good!
as round me the policemen stood
and no one interfered.
The traffic was held up, perhaps.
It was a great security lapse.
The other Nelson just in view
I made friends with Mandela through
the window of the car.
There's a world leader: here am I.
We both can smile, we both can cry,
and then the traffic moved again
and I went on, my head held high
for I had met Mandela.
And as at last I moved along
I thought of Hamish Henderson
singing Free Mandela Free
Mandela as his opening song
at every revelry.
He still sings free Mandela though
the man is high up who was low
and I'll tell Hamish Henderson
and everybody else I know
I met Mandela.
Sally Evans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Free Mandela [ Nelson Mandela ] by Sally Evans )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Aketay Imetay, D.L. Aceves
- Celestial Musings, Chris Running Bear
- Fairy Tale Of Magical Worlds, Chris Running Bear
- At my door, hasmukh amathalal
- Imagination but real, Mashiur Rahman
- I cant see you but I know you there, yolandey breedt
- Like an old-fashioned tradition, Kamini Arichandran
- Where are we?, Pintu Mahakul
- Gazing up the sky, Seira LNlee94
- no one has ever done good without....., RIC S. BASTASA