Free Mandela [ Nelson Mandela ]
I saw Mandela in the Strand
as near to me as you now stand,
in a Royal Visitor's car
with motorbikes on every hand
and agents everywhere.
I met Mandela for he smiled.
Welcome, Mandela! I went wild -
Great to see you! Very good!
as round me the policemen stood
and no one interfered.
The traffic was held up, perhaps.
It was a great security lapse.
The other Nelson just in view
I made friends with Mandela through
the window of the car.
There's a world leader: here am I.
We both can smile, we both can cry,
and then the traffic moved again
and I went on, my head held high
for I had met Mandela.
And as at last I moved along
I thought of Hamish Henderson
singing Free Mandela Free
Mandela as his opening song
at every revelry.
He still sings free Mandela though
the man is high up who was low
and I'll tell Hamish Henderson
and everybody else I know
I met Mandela.
Sally Evans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Free Mandela [ Nelson Mandela ] by Sally Evans )
- AUTUMN BRIDE, Rose Lu ( Bing hua )
- As Time Turns, Cathy Hodgson
- Suazo Nights, Eddie Morgan
- Juicy Lucy, I Salute Your vASStness!, Monk E. Biz
- As Long As I Am There For 'You', Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Paralyzed And Iced, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Art and the Pain, Udaya R. Tennakoon
- Alien Lullaby, Akujuobi Chijioke
- A Song Of Long Ago, Lilly Emery
- Simply Amazing, Olecia Henry