Free Mandela [ Nelson Mandela ]
I saw Mandela in the Strand
as near to me as you now stand,
in a Royal Visitor's car
with motorbikes on every hand
and agents everywhere.
I met Mandela for he smiled.
Welcome, Mandela! I went wild -
Great to see you! Very good!
as round me the policemen stood
and no one interfered.
The traffic was held up, perhaps.
It was a great security lapse.
The other Nelson just in view
I made friends with Mandela through
the window of the car.
There's a world leader: here am I.
We both can smile, we both can cry,
and then the traffic moved again
and I went on, my head held high
for I had met Mandela.
And as at last I moved along
I thought of Hamish Henderson
singing Free Mandela Free
Mandela as his opening song
at every revelry.
He still sings free Mandela though
the man is high up who was low
and I'll tell Hamish Henderson
and everybody else I know
I met Mandela.
Sally Evans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Free Mandela [ Nelson Mandela ] by Sally Evans )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- beware of false friends, Micron
- Madhubala, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- If you want to be my inspirer, Elius Rubby
- Being in love, Sahra Hussein
- Walk On!, Shweta Nair
- My Father, Sahra Hussein
- Crime against humanity (a prose poem), paul bamberger
- Serenity Later Prayer, Joseph DeMarco
- starlings display team, lee fones
- Extinction is Forever, Joseph DeMarco
- What Is Poetry To Adil?, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Sentiment, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL