Nikolai Stepanovich Gumilev
In that magic forest, towering trees
Unexpectedly come forward from the haze.
Out of the earth, roots spring from other roots,
Like the arms of the dwellers of burial vaults.
Under the cover of the blazing autumn leaves
Lonesome giants, trolls, and lions used to live.
Here sailors saw the tracks in golden sand
Left behind by a six-fingered human hand.
Peers of France and Arthurian valiant knights
Never set on this forbidden place their sights.
Nor the bushes ever hid a pirates’ lair,
Nor a hermit ever made his lodging there…
Only once, they saw in a lurid tempest’s light -
Cat-headed woman softly stepped into the night;
Doomed to wear a solid silver coronet,
She was lamenting and sobbing till the sunset.
No communion was given by a priest
When, by quiet dawn, she passed away in peace.
All this happened, all this happened in those years,
Which have passed without leaving any trace.
All this happened, all this happened in a realm,
Which would never come across your wildest dreams.
I imagined all of this by looking at
Fiery braids that always snake around your head,
Looking at your ever changing greenish eyes,
They're akin to Persian feverish turquoise.
Well, perhaps that forest is a soul of yours,
Well, perhaps that forest 's always my remorse.
Or perhaps, one day when we will die,
To this forest we will travel – you and I.
Nikolai Stepanovich Gumilev's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Forest by Nikolai Stepanovich Gumilev )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Civilian and Soldier, Wole Soyinka
- Name Change Tanka, Chenou Liu
- Thinking Of You, Michael P. McParland
- These Walls, Michael P. McParland
- The Sweetest Girl, Michael P. McParland
- With hosttile, hasmukh amathalal
- The alluring juxtaposition of class, bea.., Stanley Collymore
- Εntity, Elena Ioannou
- Resent therefore, hasmukh amathalal
- Colour, novoti gcisakazi Calpurnia j ..