We are but shadows, and we pass
Like sunshine on the waving grass;
Shadows that live a little time,
As summer lives and breathes her prime.
We go; but she—she never grieves,
But forms her birth of infant leaves
For the next season, and they blow
Full, as a thousand years ago
They grew, and spread to winds unseen
Their paradise of dewy green.
So be it. In their high estate
The gods that rule our human fate
Have fixed it; and their high stern doom
Is, that our race must have a tomb.
Ah, who so bold of heart can say
The high gods shall not have their sway.
We fight in vain; our paltry life
Sinks like a bubble in the strife.
But all the seasons still renew
The colour which they hold their due.
But man. He only lives to pass
Like floating shadows on the grass.
Alexander Anderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Evanescence by Alexander Anderson )
- Charcoal Sketch, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- It's End, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Feisty seed of love, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Precious Corral Of your Heart, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The son's gratitude, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love all ones is a myth., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Mixture Of Interior Knowledge, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Like normal man, hasmukh amathalal
- ~The Place Where Dreams Die~, E Nigma
- They all, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Udiah (witness to Yah)
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)