John Henry Newman
Type of the West, and glorying in the name
More than in Faith's pure fame!
Oh. trust not crafty fort nor rock renowned
Earned upon hostile ground;
Wielding Trade's master-keys, at thy proud will
To lock or loose its waters, England! trust not still.
Dread thine own power! Since haughty Babel's prime,
High towers have been man's crime.
Since her hoar age, when the huge moat lay bare,
Strongholds have been man's snare.
Thy nest is in the crags; ah, refuge frail!
Mad counsel in its hour, or traitors, will prevail.
He who scanned Sodom for His righteous men
Still spares thee for thy ten;
But, should vain tongues the Bride of Heaven defy,
He will not pass thee by;
For, as earth's kings welcome their spotless guest,
So gives He them by turn, to suffer or be blest.
John Henry Newman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (England by John Henry Newman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆ, Deepak Malapur
- A Cruel Hope, Praveen Nautiyal
- Our Vista, Hazel Durham
- UNWANTED, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- In my poems each word, gajanan mishra
- The silent Witness, Angell Afinowi
- Peaceful Faculty-5, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Peaceful Faculty-4, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Dear Mom! Please Come Back, Raj DEVAN
- Peaceful Faculty-3, Pranab K. Chakraborty