Edwin James Brady
Dross and Gold
**Life is dross, but Love is gold*
So, throughout the numbered days.
Mine to keep and thine to hold.
Be it as the Master says.
Clean-intentioned ; each to each
Shall a Staff of Travel be,
Down the Roadway to the Beach
Of the tideless, timeless Sea,
Down the Roadway of the years
Till our Web of Life is spun.
Ours the laughter and the tears;
Ours the cream of cloud and sun.
Some there be who place and gain
Reckon over and above;
Some there be who joy and pain
Weigh in equal scales — of Love:
Those shall be as they were not.
At the Road-end by the Shore;
These, who lost and who forgot
Shall have triumphed evermore.
Edwin James Brady's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Dross and Gold by Edwin James Brady )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Francesca, Ezra Pound
Poem of the Day
- Shallum, Edward Kofi Louis
- Hey There (Don't You Stare) / The New A.., Joseph Archer
- Imprisoned!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Afghanistanstuck, Ima Ryma
- To Speak With You II, Edward Kofi Louis
- To Speak With You, Edward Kofi Louis
- Virtuous Acts, Leong Ming Loong
- Your Paradise Is Met, Naveed Akram
- Who Needs Rains In Heaven?, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Prevention is better than cure, Leong Ming Loong