Stephen Vincent Benet (1898 - 1943 / Pennsylvania / United States)
To W. R. B.
And so, to you, who always were
Perseus, D'Artagnan, Lancelot
To me, I give these weedy rhymes
In memory of earlier times.
Now all those careless days are not.
Of all my heroes, you endure.
Words are such silly things! too rough,
Too smooth, they boil up or congeal,
And neither of us likes emotion --
But I can't measure my devotion!
And you know how I really feel --
And we're together. There, enough . . .
Stephen Vincent Benet's Other Poems
- A Minor Poet
- Alexander VI Dines with the Cardinal of ...
- Army Of Northern Virginia
- Before an Examination
- Campus Sonnets: Before An Examination
- Campus Sonnets: May Morning
- Campus Sonnets: Return - 1917
- Campus Sonnets: Talk
- Dinner in a Quick Lunch Room
- Elegy for an Enemy
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.