In the end we have to state
that no agreement was reached.
His stubborn opposition to compromise
was never breached.
Talks went on through the night
to meet Friday’s deadline.
Even the governor was woken early
But no peace formula was found
at the eleventh hour.
Between the princes of earth and of heaven
there will be no sharing of power.
Every effort was made
to break down his reticence
but he would not join in any talks
and maintained his silence.
The release of prisoners
was the final opportunity.
It is reported that he did not take advantage
of the governor’s offer of clemency.
There is no bilateral statement
for the six o’clock news.
The communiqué that was displayed
said simply, He is the King of the Jews.
On reflection it is clear
his agenda had been set from the start.
He planned a suicide mission
against the strongholds of the heart.
He did not negotiate with sin
when matters reached their head.
He would not de-commission his arms
but spread them wide instead.
Godfrey Rust's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Communique by Godfrey Rust )
- Funerall Elegy XX, Francis Quarles
- Lovely, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- Life, Mustapha Muinah
- Funerall Elegy XIII, Francis Quarles
- A monkey's like a ghazal in his mom's eyes, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Death Be Not Proud: A parody (with apolo.., Arindom Borah
- Funerall Elegy VII, Francis Quarles
- YOU MAKE ME RICH!, Seema joglekar
- My Wife, dee villa
- Ema ايما, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)