Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov
Clouds in the skies above, heavenly wanderers,
Long strings of snowy pearls stretched over azure plains!
Exiles like I, you rush farther and farther on,
Leaving my dear North, go distances measureless.
What drives you southward? Is't envy that covertly
Prods you or malice whose arrows strike openly?
Destiny is it? A crime hanging over you?
Or friendship's honeyed but poisonous calumny?
No! O'er those barren wastes heedlessly journeying,
Passion you know not or anguish or punishment;
Feeling you lack, you are free - free eternally,
You have no homeland, for you there's no banishment.
Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Clouds by Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov )
- Unchampioning The Champion, Walter T Rambwi
- What they say!, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Blue, david kush
- A Few Autumn Notes Late October 2014, Daniel Brick
- Ficticious, Nicholas Nikolov
- Love Is Weak, Tony Adah
- Behind the rock of suicide خلف صخرة الان.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The All-knowing God, Dr John Celes
- if i were a day, i'd say, Mandolyn ...
- In bed, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)