Sir Charles George Douglas Roberts
O rivers rolling to the sea
From lands that bear the maple-tree,
How swell your voices with the strain
Of loyalty and liberty!
A holy music, heard in vain
By coward heart and sordid brain,
To whom this strenuous being seems
Naught but a greedy race for gain.
O unsung streams--not splendid themes
Ye lack to fire your patriot dreams!
Annals of glory gild your waves,
Hope freights your tides, Canadian streams!
St. Lawrence, whose wide water laves
The shores that ne'er have nourished slaves!
Swift Richelieu of lilied fame!
Niagara of glorious graves!
Thy rapids, Ottawa, proclaim
Where Daulac and his heroes came!
Thy tides, St. John, declare La Tour,
And, later, many a loyal name!
Thou inland stream, whose vales, secure
From storm, Tecumseh's death made poor!
And thou small water, red with war,
'Twixt Beaubassin and Beauséjour!
Dread Saguenay, where eagles soar,
What voice shall from the bastioned shore
The tale of Roberval reveal,
Or his mysterious fate deplore?
Annapolis, do thy floods yet feel
Faint memories of Champlain's keel,
Thy pulses yet the deed repeat
Of Poutrincourt and d'Iberville?
And thou far tide, whose plains now beat
With march of myriad weathering feet,
Saskatchewan, whose virgin sod
So late Canadian blood made sweet?
Your bulwark hills, your valleys broad,
Streams where de Salaberry trod,
Where Wolfe achieved, where Brock was slain,--
Their voices are the voice of God!
O sacred waters! not in vain,
Across Canadian height and plain,
Ye sound us in triumphant tone
The summons of your high refrain.
Sir Charles George Douglas Roberts's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Canadian Streams by Sir Charles George Douglas Roberts )
- Your works can't stand up, Brian Kilpatrick
- neverending, Steven Federle
- WHO IS HE?, Ali Faisal
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ동대문오피녀 ⓑ선릉오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu11 sibngnu11
- L.Messi 오피뷰 동대문오피 KTwiz 선릉오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM.., sibngnu11 sibngnu11
- L.Messi 오피뷰 강서오피 KTwiz 부산오피 OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM .., sibngnu11 sibngnu11
- VALUE OF LIFE, Ali Faisal
- iPhone6+ 오피뷰 ⓐ강서오피녀 ⓑ부산오피 대란∠OＰGＡNＤA/ＣOM∠, sibngnu11 sibngnu11
- for a friend who had gone cold one summer, RIC S. BASTASA
- a journey away from words, RIC S. BASTASA
Poem of the Day
- Ur Turn Now?, Najma Mire
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- " To His Fairest Valentine Mrs. A. L., Richard Lovelace
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)