Alfred Edward Housman
In summertime on Bredon
The bells they sound so clear;
Round both the shires they ring them
In steeples far and near,
A happy noise to hear.
Here of a Sunday morning
My love and I would lie,
And see the coloured counties,
And hear the larks so high
About us in the sky.
The bells would ring to call her
In valleys miles away:
'Come all to church, good people;
Good people, come and pray.
But here my love would stay.
And I would turn and answer
Among the springing thyme,
'Oh, peal upon our wedding,
And we will hear the chime,
And come to church in time.
But when the snows at Christmas
On Bredon top were strewn,
My love rose up so early
And stole out unbeknown
And went to church alone.
They tolled the one bell only,
Groom there was none to see,
The mourners followed after,
And so to church went she,
And would not wait for me.
The bells they sound on Bredon,
And still the steeples hum.
'Come all to church, good people,' -
Oh, noisy bells, be dumb;
I hear you, I will come.
Alfred Edward Housman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bredon Hill by Alfred Edward Housman )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- I Don't Want, Michael P. McParland
- Red Tulips, Holly Wotherspoon
- Holding On, Michael P. McParland
- Holding You Tight, Michael P. McParland
- Hold On, Michael P. McParland
- Just Wasn't Deep Enough, Kyle Schlicher
- Hold Me Now My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- Love Me, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Hold Me Now, Michael P. McParland
- For Kira, Michael P. McParland