Boats In A Fog
Sports and gallantries, the stage, the arts, the antics of dancers,
The exuberant voices of music,
Have charm for children but lack nobility; it is bitter earnestness
That makes beauty; the mind
Knows, grown adult.
A sudden fog-drift muffled the ocean,
A throbbing of engines moved in it,
At length, a stone's throw out, between the rocks and the vapor,
One by one moved shadows
Out of the mystery, shadows, fishing-boats, trailing each other
Following the cliff for guidance,
Holding a difficult path between the peril of the sea-fog
And the foam on the shore granite.
One by one, trailing their leader, six crept by me,
Out of the vapor and into it,
The throb of their engines subdued by the fog, patient and
Coasting all round the peninsula
Back to the buoys in Monterey harbor. A flight of pelicans
Is nothing lovelier to look at;
The flight of the planets is nothing nobler; all the arts lose virtue
Against the essential reality
Of creatures going about their business among the equally
Earnest elements of nature.
Robinson Jeffers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Boats In A Fog by Robinson Jeffers )
Did you read them?
- Gans Veer, Madrason writer
- Be What You Are, Lilly Emery
- The abrupt end., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Native land., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Believe in Yourself Worth, Lilly Emery
- Odd One Out, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Do without It, Anirudh Rawat
- Don't Be Afraid, Lilly Emery
- Be, Andy Caldwell
- Tree saplings., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)