How does he do it?
His brain no more than finger nail
Singing a scale of notes I cannot sing
Nor can forget.What does he say? It seems he knows
But what? Is there some communication...
A radiating beam that strikes the tiles
The message always clearer
When he sings upon the roof?
Black as night, she brown discrete, a job to do
Keep warm and safe. Silence is the key
Eight is late, to bed, one last egg to hatch.
If he could write would he write it down..
All those notes without a scale, more than twelve,
An alphabet of sounds, as random as the sea
Would he even try? each note is sent its way,
The thought.. if thought there be lost above the roof.
There is no past for him no future, all is now.
No thinking in the melody but joy and being well
Yesterday? What is that? Never heard of yesterday
Of today doen't even care.
How long will it be? What is long? Is it a worm?
A brain no more than fingernail only room for hope.
Maybe I'm wrong....
Is there a message in your song
Do I leave a space to listen, to you kind soul?
Your life so short...'though long enough
Just long enough, no more.
When song is gone so will you be gone.
Its all you want to do
John Rickell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Blackbird by John Rickell )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Cheap Shots, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- COPLA 69 INVOCATION: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Days When The Darkness Is Greater Than T.., Shalom Freedman
- STORM IN A TEACUP, Philo Yan
- Never take anybody, gajanan mishra
- All one, gajanan mishra
- The ignorant, gajanan mishra
- Poetry For I. H. Rizvi, Bijay Kant Dubey
- If Any Sense Is Attempted To Be Made, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Just one kiss, Kelly Curiel