Patrick William Kavanagh
I pace the silent empty woods on Beltane night,
My breath is strangled by the anguish in my heart.
Not one of my betrayers left in sight, - they sleep...
but none shall ever sleep again, when I have played my part.
I showered Milady with my heartfelt words of love..
But nothing warmed her cold, cold heart..
For Her I would have made the mountains move,
But nothing seemed to move her - from the start.
Was my Love not deep enough or did I try to hard,
Perhaps I gave my love too soon to win the Ladies heart.
I have been my Ladies fool..A fool in love, -..so sad,
A fool too long, - It's time for me to make another start.
Next time, -I shall not be so kind..I will not be so soft..
I shall not be mistreated so again without an awful cost,
A king am I and regal..I shall hold my head aloft...
Milady will just have to sit and weep for what she's lost.
And so, I cast a spell so deep and dark that none may hear it..
and keep it safe until the day its due,
A spell so foul that all who hear will fear it...
the day they hear it is a day they'll rue..
And so I pace and plot and plan amongst these silent trees..
Milady asks me for a poem..I hope she is well pleased..
For she has broke this noble heart in two..
A callous act that one day she will Rue.
Patrick William Kavanagh's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Beltane Night by Patrick William Kavanagh )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Emily Jane Brontë
(30 July 1818 – 19 December 1848)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- (Adi Sankara) 06 A Guru was found, Rajaram Ramachandran
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- What the Body Told, Rafael Campo
- Spitwads, Michael McFee
- Christmas Parties, Marilyn Lott
- Thought Web, Aftab Alam
- The University of Essex, Tom Raworth
- The Bridal Dance, Tony Adah
- Marcus Aurelius Rose, Lisa Jarnot
- Victoria Spivey's, David McLansky
- The Land, Marites C. Cayetano
- Touch and claim, hasmukh amathalal