We always had to do our work at night.
I wondered why we had to be so sly.
I wondered why we couldn't have our fight
Under the open sky.
I wondered why I always felt so cold.
I wondered why the orders seemed so slow,
So slow to come, so whisperingly told,
So whisperingly low.
I wondered if my packing-straps were tight,
And wondered why I wondered……Sound
and order came…… I ran into the night,
wondering why I smiled.
Leon Gellert's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Before Action by Leon Gellert )
- KILL THE DESIRES OF THE FLESH, Dominic George
- WE DUMPSTER HIM DAMNED, Dominic George
- Mess, Tiku akp
- THE FORGOTTEN PARENT, Dominic George
- Our life is full of a lot of thorns anyt.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A CHRISTIAN'S COLUMN, Dominic George
- The male and the female, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Interlude, mary douglas
- Those sensations تلك الاحاسيس, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I had shied away, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)