You tell the story every night,
Of milking honey from the moon.
Brewing nectar in flower’s patella,
Your sky head kisses my earthen lips,
Your colors neither surreal nor abstract,
Your green has the fallacy of star dust.
The recessive maze of your soul,
Your sensuous desire is like grapes,
Grown purple on tree trunks.
You would drag my ear to the corner.
Cover my window from morning rays.
You are in a dark cave of murals.
Be the sun, be the rain, and be the song.
The bird sings for no one but sings.
The stream of water pleases no one,
But flows on its own, and so all planets.
Be the multitude, a poor heart’s voice.
Be a tongue to an unspoken love.
O love sick poet, if not mine,
If not any one’s else. Be yourself.
Temenos 8, The poet: Collection of Jason Hughes
Plato on poets.
“For the poets tell us, don't they, that the melodies they bring us are gathered from rills that run with honey, out of glens and gardens of the Muses, and they bring them as bees do honey, flying like the bees? And what they say is true, for a poet is a light and winged thing, and holy, and never able to compose until he has become inspired, and is beside himself, and reason is no longer in him. So long as he has this in his possession, no man is able to make poetry or to chant in prophecy.” Plato
Sadiqullah Khan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Be Yourself by Sadiqullah Khan )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Too filmy, hasmukh amathalal
- What is life we know not, gajanan mishra
- Liberties, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Somebody is Shooting Our Children, Hebert Logerie
- ★Alone, Luo Zhihai
- ★Alone, Luo Zhihai
- Alone,, Luo Zhihai
- To Masquerade With An Innocence, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Confession, Merton Lee
- My Dream, hugh everard