Among the trees the tiger trod,
A striking sight to see,
Yet close-up you could think him odd,
Despite such majesty...
His propped-up ears above his head,
His whiskers twitching still,
Yet if you've paused and haven't fled,
You're bound to feel a thrill...
The biggest big cat of them all,
Twelve foot from nose-to-tail,
Enough to make a strong man fall,
Or tread soft on the trail...
The tiger knows his way around,
He's walked this path before,
So less surprises to be found,
Of that you can be sure...
So be advised, safe distance keep,
That Banyan tiger's wise,
He knows the times to run or creep,
Or stay still in disguise...
Let tourists visit, walk and roam,
Let tourists smile all day,
But as for me, I'll stay at home,
Much safer, friends, that way...
Denis Martindale, copyright, September 2013.
The poem is based on the magnificent painting
by Stephen Gayford called 'Banyan Tiger'.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Banyan Tiger by Denis Martindale )
- The Daughter of the Earth- 22, gajanan mishra
- The Daughter of the Earth - 21, gajanan mishra
- Self - Raising, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sunshine In Your Eyes, Eleonor Santiago
- Run, run, run and running, gajanan mishra
- Run, run, run, gajanan mishra
- What About Tomorrow, Claude H Oliver II
- My Time, Claude H Oliver II
- The ball, gajanan mishra
- Thousand Lullabies, Eleonor Santiago
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)