George Essex Evans
Earth's mightiest isle. She stands alone.
The wide seas wash around Her throne,
Crowned by the red sun as his own.
This is the last of all the lands
Where Freedom’s fray-torn banner stands,
Not wrested yet from freemen’s hands.
The world’s gray page lies bare to-day—
The rise of nations—the decay.
Will She, too, rise—and fall as they?
She called men to Her, and they came,
Whose deaths have given the Desert name.
Their fame is written with Her fame.
We toil and strive. We have our hour.
But She shall grow from power to power,
To wear the splendour of her dower.
The trust is ours—to us alone.
We are the strong foundation-stone,
The seed from which the flower is grown.
And whilst a realm in fee we hold,
To guard the New against the Old,
Nor take the glitter for the gold,
What shall it profit Her if we
Make gold our God, and strength our plea,
And call wild license Liberty?
If, in our scorn of creed and king,
All reverence to the winds we fling,
And fall before a baser thing?
Though in Her coming hour of pride
Her millions throng the Desert wide,
Her cities stud the water side?
What though Her sword unconquered be,
Her armoured navies sweep the sea,
If still Her people are not free?
To be the wave of thought indeed
From New World vaunt and Old World need,
To manlier day and mightier deed?
To be a people proved and strong—
True freemen of the Poet’s song
For whom the world has waited long?
George Essex Evans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Australia by George Essex Evans )
- THE WIDOW, john chizoba vincent
- They Are The Bamiyan Buddhas, You Fire N.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mundamala Kali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- LETTER TO A MOTHER 2, john chizoba vincent
- The Festival of Lights, Deepawali, Bijay Kant Dubey
- To Loving Partha Sarothi -A Token Of Love., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Picking At Sores, Kyle Schlicher
- Crazy, Dipankar Sadhukhan
- National Festival, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- I Must Make Preparations, Kyle Schlicher
Poem of the Day
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns