At Hansteen's Bier
God, we thank Thee for the dower
Thou gavest Norway in his power,
Whom in the grave we now shall lay!
Starlit paths of thoughts that awe us
His spirit found; his deeds now draw us
To deeds, as mighty magnets play.
He was the first to stand
A light in our free land;
Of our present the first fair crown,
The first renown,
At Norway's feet he laid it down.
We his shining honors sharing,
And humble now his body bearing,
Shall sing with all the world our praise.
God, who ever guides our nation,
Hath called us to a high vocation
And shown where He our goal doth raise.
People of Norway, glad
Go on, as God us bade!
God has roused you; He knows whereto,
Though we are few.
With Him our future we shall view.
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At Hansteen's Bier by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson )
- Love Above, Arno Le Roux
- The Business Of Life, Arno Le Roux
- Adaptation, maria sudibyo
- ব্যস্ততার অবসান, Yakub Ali
- Long Drought, maria sudibyo
- Rain Season Isn't Yet, maria sudibyo
- Paper Assignment, maria sudibyo
- 'RAMDAS KESAVADAS', the fraud, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- A Prayer, Holly Moon
- Benevolent Heart, Holly Moon
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)