Anna and Team Anna
A five and seventy man
Went hungry could have died,
For clever, hungry men
Who showed us hope, lied.
They said it was a war
Against political corruption,
Turned out was a show
To get political traction.
Power is a bitch, we knew,
That bites deep and hard;
But Team Anna fooled us all:
A veil of tough Kevlar.
Naked they all stand now,
Promises tall and fake;
Nehru's tryst, JP seen,
There's no more we can take.
Vinod Sharma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
A Gandhian who believes in non-violence, he fasted last year to compel the government to bring an effective anti-corruption legislation so that errant politicians and bureaucrats could be punished. Foxy politicians made all the right noises but successfully stalled enactment.
He went on indefinite fast again a few days back, along with some other members of his team, but this time, they called off the fast only to announce the formation of a new political party, a move seen as a betrayal of the cause by many.
Comments about this poem (Anna and Team Anna by Vinod Sharma )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- The Storyteller, David Lewis Paget
- Read yourself, Eleonora Bistrianu
- State dictates people to be violent, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- Just After Dawn, David Harris
- Graveyard, Eleonora Bistrianu
- Moments, Eleonora Bistrianu
- Stasying the Course, John F. McCullagh
- Preposterous, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- The Little Wood, Ruth Manning-Sanders
- The Moral Roundabout, Ruth Manning-Sanders