Rose Red's hair is brown as fur
and shines in firelight as she prepares
supper of honey and apples, curds and whey,
for the bear, and leaves it ready
on the hearth-stone.
Rose White's grey eyes
look into the dark forest.
Rose Red's cheeks are burning,
sign of her ardent, joyful
Rose White is pale,
turning away when she hears
the bear's paw on the latch.
When he enters, there is
frost on his fur,
he draws near to the fire
giving off sparks.
Rose Red catches the scent of the forest,
of mushrooms, of rosin.
Together Rose Red and Rose White
sing to the bear;
it is a cradle song, a loom song,
a song about marriage, about
a pilgrimage to the mountains
Raised on an elbow,
the bear stretched on the hearth
nods and hums; soon he sighs
and puts down his head.
He sleeps; the Roses
bank the fire.
Sunk in the clouds of their feather bed
they prepare to dream.
Rose Red in a cave that smells of honey
dreams she is combing the fur of her cubs
with a golden comb.
Rose White is lying awake.
Rose White shall marry the bear's brother.
Shall he too
when the time is ripe,
step from the bear's hide?
Is that other, her bridegroom,
here in the room?
Denise Levertov's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Embroidery by Denise Levertov )
Did you read them?
- The Man who would not be King, John F. McCullagh
- What we love about the welsh valleys, David Boyce
- Humans and Daffodils, David Boyce
- We are going to Treherbert, David Boyce
- Beautiful valleys, David Boyce
- Dust Devils, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Threat To My Love, Claude Simpson
- Core Of Mistrust, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Motive Is The Focus, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- macarana, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(1886 - 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)