An Elderly Golfer
There once was an elderly golfer,
Who played every day on the greens,
What would he do in heaven?
When his time was finally played?
He tried to seek out the answer,
Deciding to ask those on high,
So he sought out the local vicar,
A man all knowing and kind.
Our Vicar did not know the answer,
But vowed would find out somehow,
Which left our elderly golfer,
Contented to play on for now.
On a day that our elderly golfer,
Having a pot of tea with his mates,
Saw the vicar claiming attention,
To convey to our golfer his fate.
He announced with some trepidation,
That the news was both good then bad,
But our golfer, keen for the answer,
Said “give me the good news my man”.
“There are golf clubs aplenty in heaven,
With wide fairways and very flat greens,
Where the hole are as big as tea plates,
And no bunkers will ever be seen”.
Our golfer delighted to hear this,
Told all of his chums in the bar,
Then turned to the vicar to ask him,
About the bad news, unspoken so far.
He lowered his voice to a whisper,
“The bad news dear sir I must plea,
That the arrangements are all in order,
For you to play there after your tea.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Elderly Golfer by Vernon Gibbons )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Love Note 6, Michael P. McParland
- Sending Words about Overnight in Fishing.., Luo Zhihai
- Give me 'all of you', Juwon Daniel
- Leprosy eradication., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Beyond The Dotted Lines, Asma Riaz Khan
- if I die young, Juwon Daniel
- Story of snow., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- She Wanted, Spiritwind Wood
- When love was born, Lehlohonolo Selai
- There is a Configuration of the Universe, michael walkerjohn