An early visit
It was dawn, and I decided to visit and see if she slept
alone: Cynthia lay alone in her bed.
I stood amazed: she never had seemed more lovely to me,
not even when, dressed in a gown of deep sea-blue,
she went from here to tell her dreams to Vesta the Pure,
fearing they boded harm for her or for me.
Just so she seemed to me now, freshly aroused from sleep.
Ah! What intrinsic power has dazzling beauty!
'Well! ' she said, 'you are a bright and early spy on your girl!
Did you think that my behavior would be like yours?
I am not so loose; one lover's acquaintance will satisfy me:
you, or perhaps some other one, truer than you.
You will find no trace of another's form pressed into the bed,
no indication that two have lain wallowing here.
See, no breath is rising up from all over my body
as a tell-tale sign of adulterous goings-on.'
She spoke, and holding me off with her right hand spurned my caresses,
and leaping up sprang from the chamber on soft-slippered feet.
Thus I, the guard of so sacred a love, am proved a fool.
Since then I have not had one happy night.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (An early visit by Propertius )
Did you read them?
- Jadavpur Universiy Campus Turf, Romeo An.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Let Me Display Your Pennant , Jonathan ROBIN
- UNTIL THEN, TIJANI ADEBOWALE DESTINY
- Life is a chasing game,, Aftab Alam
- The midnight scream, Harold R Hunt Sr
- It calls your name., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Dogs, Cinzia Wills
- Interminable Wanderer, Cinzia Wills
- The Sky, Harold R Hunt Sr
- That part of your heart, Rolfy Dsilva
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Heather Burns
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)