An Drinaun Donn
A HUNDRED men think I am theirs when with them I
But their presence fades away from me and their high spirits fail
When I think upon your converse kind by the meadow
and the linn,
And your form smoother than the silk on the Mountain of O'Flynn.
Oh, Paddy, is it pain to you that I'm wasting night and day,
And, Paddy, is it grief to you that I'll soon be in the clay?
My first love with the winning mouth, my treasure you'll abide,
Till the narrow coffin closes me and the grass grows through my side.
The man who strains to leap the wall, we think him
When to his hand is the easy ditch to vault across at will;
The rowan tree is fine and high, but bitter its berries grow,
While blackberries and raspberries are on shrubs that blossom low.
Farewell, farewell, forever, to yon town amongst the trees;
Farewell, the town that draws me on mornings and on
Oh, many's the ugly morass now, and many's the crooked
That lie henceforth between me and where my heart's
And Mary, Ever Virgin, where will I turn my head!
I know not where his house is built, nor where his fields are spread.
Ah, kindly was the counsel that my kinsfolk gave to me,
'The hundred twists are in his heart, and the thousand tricks has he.'
Padraic Colum's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Drinaun Donn by Padraic Colum )
- There, Barbara Dixion
- Humpty-Dumpty, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Of Life Is Change, Is It Poetry
- Chicken Burger, Angela Wybrow
- Take me home, Barbara Dixion
- How...?, Ginny Gibbs
- gustakhi karke ched gyin uski aankhein, Yashvardhan Goel
- mukda, Yashvardhan Goel
- No More Yelling, Michael McParland
- The Wilderness We Abandon, Robert Rorabeck
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)