Gilbert Keith Chesterton
Britannia needs no Boulevards,
No spaces wide and gay:
Her march was through the crooked streets
Along the narrow way.
Nor looks she where, New York's seduction,
The Broadway leadeth to destruction.
Britannia needs no Cafes:
If Coffee needs must be,
Its place should be the Coffee-house
Where Johnson growled for Tea;
But who can hear that human mountain
Growl for an ice-cream soda-fountain?
She needs no Russian Theatrey
Mere Father strangles Mother,
In scenes where all the characters
And colours kill each other--
Her boast is freedom had by halves,
And Britons never shall be Slavs.
But if not hers the Dance of Death,
Great Dostoievsky's dance,
And if the things most finely French
Are better done in France--
Might not Americanisation
Be best applied to its own nation?
Ere every shop shall be a store
And every Trade a Trust . . .
Lo, many men in many lands
Know when their cause is just.
There will be quite a large attendance
When we Declare our Independence.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Americanisation by Gilbert Keith Chesterton )
- fasten your seat belt, bartender, Mandolyn ...
- For you, dee villa
- Simply Spoken My Ship, Heather Burns
- Love, dee villa
- Thunderstorm By Jet, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Grace Diane, Kim Barney
- Just for a day, Ahmed Tawfik
- Aroma Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sunshine And Showers, David Harris
- Love and Fear (Tanka), Mihaela Pirjol
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Ki no Tsurayuki
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)