Queen Elizabeth I
Ah, Silly Pug, Wert Thou So Sore Afraid
Ah, silly Pug, wert thou so sore afraid?
Mourn not, my Wat, nor be thou so dismayed.
It passeth fickle Fortune’s power and skill
To force my heart to think thee any ill.
No Fortune base, thou sayest, shall alter thee?
And may so blind a witch so conquer me?
No, no, my Pug, though Fortune were not blind,
Assure thyself she could not rule my mind.
Fortune, I know, sometimes doth conquer kings,
And rules and reigns on earth and earthly things,
But never think Fortune can bear the sway
If virtue watch, and will her not obey.
Ne chose I thee by fickle Fortune’s rede,
Ne she shall force me alter with such speed
But if to try this mistress’ jest with thee.
Pull up thy heart, suppress thy brackish tears,
Torment thee not, but put away thy fears.
Dead to all joys and living unto woe,
Slain quite by her that ne’er gave wise men blow,
Revive again and live without all dread,
The less afraid, the better thou shalt speed.
Queen Elizabeth I's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ah, Silly Pug, Wert Thou So Sore Afraid by Queen Elizabeth I )
(13-7-31 (see reverse))
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Bull Hawking
Emily Jane Brontë
(30 July 1818 – 19 December 1848)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- The Innkeeper’s Wife, Clive Sansom
- ALWAYS ON MY MIND, Stanley Oguh
- Wicketkeepers, Quir Diing Jr.
- u want? Watch 'Divergent' Free Online St.., ada ajakaunak
- Le Déluge, Alfred de Vigny
Poem of the Day
- The Miraculous Escape of Robert Allan, t.., Max Plowman
- The Battle of Sheriffmuir, Max Plowman
- General Gordon, the Hero of Khartoum, Max Plowman
- Limerick-73, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- MOTHER, KASINIVENTHAN MUTHURAMALINGAM
- The Monkey, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Krampus, Ima Ryma
- For My Love, Sandra Feldman
- I love To Run, Patrick Sant
- My Exploding Stomach, RUBAB ATWAL