Edgar Lee Masters
I was crushed between Altgeld and Armour.
I lost many friends, much time and money
Fighting for Altgeld whom Editor Whedon
Denounced as the candidate of gamblers and anarchists.
Then Armour started to ship dressed meat to Spoon River,
Forcing me to shut down my slaughter-house,
And my butcher shop went all to pieces.
The new forces of Altgeld and Armour caught me
At the same time.
I thought it due me, to recoup the money I lost
And to make good the friends that left me,
For the Governor to appoint me Canal Commissioner.
Instead he appointed Whedon of the Spoon River Argus,
So I ran for the legislature and was elected.
I said to hell with principle and sold my vote
On Charles T. Yerkes' street-car franchise.
Of course I was one of the fellows they caught.
Who was it, Armour, Altgeld or myself
That ruined me?
Edgar Lee Masters's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Adam Weirauch by Edgar Lee Masters )
- The paradox of becoming a Man, Nancy Handabile
- Quran, The Ways of Ascent, Mohja Kahf
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
- rain, Erin Daly
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
(17 July 1674 – 25 November 1748)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Laurence Overmire
(24 June 1842 - 26 December 1913)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 November 1731 – 25 April 1800)