a world of one's own
At the same time
was killing herself
the North American Continent
was doing perfectly well
without her or her genius
or her brother’s genius
on the other side of the Atlantic.
Well, not perfectly well.
The Spanish were already making
a big mess of Mexico
and Central America.
A BIG mess.
But lots of things
were still going well
north of the border
that wasn’t yet there.
had obligingly melted away
thousands of years before
leaving a land
carpeted from coast to coast
with primeval forests,
of migrating fowl,
teeming with fish,
coursing their way
to the sea,
and, of course,
hundreds of indigenous tribes
who had managed to live
thousands of years
or Super Wal-Mart.
All these beings
were expressing their genius
in a mindblowingly beautiful
of pen and paper,
or proscenium arch,
to the best universities,
of 500 pounds a year
and a room of one’s own.
All they asked
was that the rest of the world,
stay the f... away
leave them the f...
They were not
Percy Dovetonsils's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (a world of one's own by Percy Dovetonsils )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- When I admire you (Rubliw), Gert Strydom
- ETC2, shuvo chakraborty
- A falling leaf, Manthra Hariharan
- Christmas Invite, Francisco R. Albano
- My Lord, abdulrazak aralimatti
- Jaundice jaundice, gajanan mishra
- Home coming, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Repetition Compulsion Syndrome, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- ETC1, shuvo chakraborty
- Gamble with faith, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.