Frederick George Scott
A Wayside Cross
A WAYSIDE cross at set of day
Unto my sprit thus did say—
"O soul, my branching arms you see
Point four ways to infinity.
"One points to infinite above,
To show the height of heavenly love.
"Two point to infinite width, which shows
That heavenly love no limit knows.
"One points to infinite beneath,
To show God's love is under death.
"The four arms join, an emblem sweet
That in God's heart all loves will meet."
I thanked the cross as I turned away
For such sweet thoughts in the twilight grey.
Frederick George Scott's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Wayside Cross by Frederick George Scott )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- "Mike Teavee...", Roald Dahl
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Made Electric By The Moon, Is It Poetry
- It's all in your head, Yisel Chong
- Every Breath Of Life, Spiritwind Wood
- Forever in my heart..., Yisel Chong
- C o r t e g e...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- A Spirit Within, Spiritwind Wood
- Love, Carolyn Blackmon
- The Staff at Flagstaff Hospital, Kathryn Tyler King
- Dry Your Sorrows And Tears, Spiritwind Wood
- My Venus, Sandra Lynn