To my absent daughter, Ella.
Think of me, darling ! My poor heart seems breaking,
Saddened and crushed, by thy constant forsaking.
Never an hour but thy face is before me,
Never a day but I bend fondly o'er thee,
Never a night but my arms steal about thee,
While my heart cries, 'Must I still live without thee?'
Nothing I listen to, nothing I see,
Stills, for one moment, my longings for thee.
Think of me, pet, and if thou, too, dost miss me,
Hold up thy lips, as if waiting to kiss me.
Let the good angels above us discover,
Mamma, though distant, has some one to love her.
Bid them to waft me thy kiss as a token
That the tie binding us ne'er can be broken ;
E'en as the oak wooes the upreaching vine,
Yearneth my heart Jto be circled by thine.
Think of me, sweet ! When the sun's golden quiver
Loosens the bands of our beautiful river,
Bend thy red lips where its wavelets are kneeling,―
Freight them with whispers of tenderest feeling,―
Let the clear waters, as thou leanest over,
Clasp thy dear image and bear me, thy lover,
Something to cheer me, ―a shadow or sign―
Something to prove thee my own Valentine.
Kate Harrington's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Valentine by Kate Harrington )
- Flower, Cee Bea
- Lavender, Cee Bea
- THE SHRIEK, Satish Verma
- The Terror, David Lewis Paget
- Union - within us, gajanan mishra
- Haiku(GOD), Aftab Alam
- chaos of Christmas near, lee fones
- The earth is moving, gajanan mishra
- ONLY YOU JESUS ONLY YOU, Michael P. Johnson
- GOD! WATCHING, TESTING, Michael P. Johnson
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Racism Haiku - Ice Cream, john tiong chunghoo
- Blah Blah Blank Blank, vincent armone
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)