Katharine Lee Bates
A Song Of Riches
What will you give to a barefoot lass,
Morning with breath like wine?
Wade, bare feet! In my wide morass
Starry marigolds shine.
Alms, sweet Noon, for a barefoot lass,
With her laughing looks aglow!
Run, bare feet! In my fragrant grass
Golden buttercups blow.
Gift, a gift for a barefoot lass,
O twilight hour of dreams!
Rest, bare feet, by my lake of glass,
Where the mirrored sunset gleams.
Homeward the weary merchants pass,
With the gold bedimmed by care.
Little they wise that the barefoot lass
Is the only millionaire.
Katharine Lee Bates's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Song Of Riches by Katharine Lee Bates )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- In The Depths of Solitude, Tupac Shakur
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The fate, gajanan mishra
- Five Cherry Blossoms To Despair., Martin Engstrom
- Depths Of Truth, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You are not allowed to walk, gajanan mishra
- If you want success, gajanan mishra
- Global Mother Sarada, Tushar Ray
- Plateau Of Relief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Candles, Leong Ming Loong
- Realtor - Twas the Month Before Christmas, Tim Halladay
- Freedome Of Interior Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak