John Le Gay Brereton
A Reflection on Lawson's Poems
Seasons bloom and seasons wither; dark or bright, they cannot last.
Must we try with floods of bitter teas to vivify the past?
Vainly chase the brown and broken blossoms blown along the blast?
Shall we scorn the flowers around us - red, or blue, or white as snow -
Flowers giving loads of fragrance unto all the winds that blow
Must we hide our eyes and falter: 'O, the days of long ago!'
Never stop to look behind you, if the blaze of glory there
Blinds you to the splendour stretching round about and everywhere.
True, the past was pleasant, Lawson, but the present is as fair.
I, too, love the days when heroes, seeking treasure, seaward sped;
Days of Drake, when English sailors followed where their leaders led;
Days when Marlowe trod the glowing clouds, that thundered to his tread.
Even then, though, there were cowards, traitors, swindler, 'business men,'
Plot and murder, slave and master, secret sneer, and wounding pen;
And the poets thought the present vile and barren even then.
And their comrades were no better than some modern mates we meet -
Even though they don't go wearing tights and feathers in the street;
And the girls are dear as ever, and their kisses just as sweet.
Sing the present; dropp the drivel of the 'days evanished,' please!
Though you pray until your pants are burst or baggy at the knees,
You can't bid the sun go backward - no, not even ten degrees.
John Le Gay Brereton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Reflection on Lawson's Poems by John Le Gay Brereton )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Don't Know If History Repeats Itself, Yehuda Amichai
- Limerick: There was a young person whose.., Edward Lear
- school, logan dillie
- THE MOMENT (BARACK HUSSAIN OBAMA’S INAUG.., sania harris
- Account, Czeslaw Milosz
Poem of the Day
- Winds Of Winter, Luo Zhihai
- Uncle Styopa part2 by N. Mickhalkov, Yuri Starostin
- Secret Loves, Sandra Feldman
- Structural Designs, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Winter, Sara Grace Je'tom Bradley
- Life's trash, Yisel Chong
- I Just, Michael P. McParland
- What She Is, Levi Crum
- I Am So Tired, Michael P. McParland
- Sacrafice, Levi Crum