Edgar Albert Guest
A Place At The Top
THERE'S a place for you at the top, my boy,
Are you willing to try to get it?
It's true that trouble will try to stop
Your efforts, but will you let it?
The road is long and the path is rough,
Designed for men of the proper stuff,
And you can't get by with a common bluff,
For the way is barred to bluffers.
And ever and ever the weak drop out,
But the strong keep going with courage stout;
They may taste defeat, but never rout,
But it's worth all a fighter suffers.
Up there at the top there 's a place for you,
You may earn it or let it go;
And the world won't care which of these you do,
It's up to yourself to show
Whether you can battle with fate and wrong,
And take hard luck when it comes along
With a nervy grin or a bit of song
Or stop with the quitters tamely.
There's room at the top; you can get there, too,
If you 're ready to fight your own way through.
The odds are heavy, I know, but you
Can win, if you'll face them gamely.
Edgar Albert Guest's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Place At The Top by Edgar Albert Guest )
Did you read them?
- 3, Smoky Hoss
- Soul Holes, Smoky Hoss
- Magic of Indian Democracy, SANDIP GOSWAMI
- ...and am loving it, Manonton Dalan
- There is yet Hope, Smoky Hoss
- Beauty And The Beholder, hugh everard
- Black Rose, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Joyful Is Life With Colours, Rohit Sapra
- Ferguson and Law Enforcement, Is It Poetry
- आज फिर तेरी याद आई हैं, Kahil Mehar
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)