Franklin P. Adams
A New York Child's Garden of Verses
(With the usual.)
In winter I get up at night,
And dress by an electric light.
In summer, autumn, ay, and spring,
I have to do the self-same thing.
I have to go to bed and hear
Pianos pounding in my ear,
And hear the janitor cavort
With garbage cans within the court.
And does it not seem hard to you
That I should have these things to do?
Is it not hard for us Manhat-
Tan children in a stuffy flat?
It is very nice to think
The world is full of food and drink;
But, oh, my father says to me
They cost all of his salaree.
When I am grown to man's estate
I shall be very proud and great;
E'en now I have no reverence,
'Cause I read comic supplements.
New York is so full of a number of kids
I'm sure pretty soon we shall be invalids.
A child should always say what's true,
And speak when he is spoken to;
And then, when manhood's age he strikes,
He may be boorish as he likes.
Franklin P. Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A New York Child's Garden of Verses by Franklin P. Adams )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(20 June 1952 -)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Rainbow's Promise, renu kakkar
- Andhere Kaa Deepak, Harivansh Rai Bachchan
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- You are all here, gajanan mishra
- Blue Wedding Bells Ring, Ken e Hall
- The Battleground, Leong Ming Loong
- An inner core, hasmukh amathalal
- Indeed I am no good so by Rasul Gamzatov, Yuri Starostin
- 1400 grams of wisdom (Merry Christmas), devon da poet
- Aspirations Inherited, Perveiz Ali
- Chimp Chomp - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Night Sky, Paul Gerard Reed
- '' Life And Death '', bri mar