Franklin P. Adams
A New York Child's Garden of Verses
(With the usual.)
In winter I get up at night,
And dress by an electric light.
In summer, autumn, ay, and spring,
I have to do the self-same thing.
I have to go to bed and hear
Pianos pounding in my ear,
And hear the janitor cavort
With garbage cans within the court.
And does it not seem hard to you
That I should have these things to do?
Is it not hard for us Manhat-
Tan children in a stuffy flat?
It is very nice to think
The world is full of food and drink;
But, oh, my father says to me
They cost all of his salaree.
When I am grown to man's estate
I shall be very proud and great;
E'en now I have no reverence,
'Cause I read comic supplements.
New York is so full of a number of kids
I'm sure pretty soon we shall be invalids.
A child should always say what's true,
And speak when he is spoken to;
And then, when manhood's age he strikes,
He may be boorish as he likes.
Franklin P. Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A New York Child's Garden of Verses by Franklin P. Adams )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Dwelling In Perfection, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Line to You, Olufayo Ezekiel
- Remedy to Find, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Inner Workings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Colours, Daniel Rimero
- India's Rhythms, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Love! Let's run away from light., SAK Reddy
- Journey Of Ancient Values, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Bless You On This Day, Michael P. McParland
- The Blank Page, David Lewis Paget