A New Year's Gift
We are prevented; you whose Presence is
A Publick New-yeares gift, a Common bliss
To all that Love or Feare, give no man leave
To vie a Gift but first he shall receave;
Like as the Persian Sun with golden Eies
First shines upon the Priest and Sacrifice.
Ile on howere; May this yeare happier prove
Than all the Golden Age when Vertue strove
With nothing but with Vertue; may it bee
Such as the Dayes of Saturnes Infancy.
May every Tide and Season joyntly fitt
All your Intents and your Occasions hitt:
May every Grayne of Sand within your Glass
Number a fresh content before it pass.
And when success comes on, stand then each howre
Like Josuah's Day, & grow to three or fowre:
At last when this yeare rounds and wheeles away,
Bee still the next yeare like the old yeares Day.
William Strode's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A New Year's Gift by William Strode )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Grumpy morning, oskar hansen
- I Wanna Marry You, Seyi Rufus Oluwadare
- A Conversation With An Enemy, howard simon
- i'll churn the butter while you fish, Mandolyn Davidson
- THE FOOLISH ONES, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- My Sweet Little Kid, Ramesh Shrestha
- Heavy morning, Robo Cat
- good-morning babe, don't say good-night, Mandolyn Davidson
- I Am But a Small Voice, F. J. Thomas
- Blueberry Muffins, Sandra Feldman