Ella Wheeler Wilcox
A Glass Of Wine
'What's in a glass of wine?'
There, set the glass where I can look within.
Now listen to me, friend, while I begin
And tell you what I see-
What I behold with my far-reaching eyes,
And what I know to be
Below the laughing bubbles that arise
Within this glass of wine.
There is a little spirit, night and day,
That cries one word, for ever and alway:
That single word is 'More!'
And whoso drinks a glass of wine, drinks him:
You fill the goblet full unto the brim,
And strive to silence him.
Glass after glass you drain to quench his thirst,
Each glass contains a spirit like the first;
And all their voices cry
Until they shriek and clamor, howl and rave,
And shout 'More!' noisily,
Till welcome death prepares the drunkard's grave,
And stills the imps that rave.
That see I in the wine:
And tears so many that I cannot guess;
And all these drops are labelled with 'Distress.'
I know you cannot see.
And at the bottom are the dregs of shame:
Oh! it is plain to me.
And there are woes too terrible to name:
Now drink your glass of wine.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Glass Of Wine by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1753 – 5 December 1784)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1644 - 1694)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Cause And Effect, Charles Bukowski
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- And because Love battles, Pablo Neruda
- I Remember, Anne Sexton
Poem of the Day
- Eliot, Your Modern Hollow Men, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Return of The Romantic, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Point of Submission [Deictic Conclusions], Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Gift, Frank Avon
- Longest Night, Nassy Fesharaki
- Loner, Michael Webb
- As One, Frank Avon
- ETC3, shuvo chakraborty
- SONNET II, Sir Toby Moses
- Tamil on decline, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.