Oh do not die, for I shall hate
All women so, when thou art gone,
That thee I shall not celebrate,
When I remember, thou wast one.
But yet thou canst not die, I know;
To leave this world behind, is death,
But when thou from this world wilt go,
The whole world vapours with thy breath.
Or if, when thou, the world’s soul, go`st,
It stay, ’tis but thy carcase then,
The fairest woman, but thy ghost,
But corrupt worms, the worthiest men.
Oh wrangling schools, that search what fire
Shall burn this world, had none the wit
Unto this knowledge to aspire,
That this her fever might be it ?
And yet she cannot waste by this,
Nor long bear this torturing wrong,
For much corruption needful is
To fuel such a fever long.
These burning fits but meteors be,
Whose matter in thee is soon spent.
Thy beauty, and all parts, which are thee,
Are unchangeable firmament.
Yet ’twas of my mind, seizing thee,
Though it in thee cannot persever.
For I had rather owner be
Of thee one hour, than all else ever.
John Donne's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Fever by John Donne )
Did you read them?
- no more love story, The Princess is
- Illogical, Margaret Moran
- Want, The Princess is
- The Passing of the Lord, Translation of .., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Teleskof, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bearing With One Another, Edward Kofi Louis
- Danyell, Edward Kofi Louis
- ap english, imani halley
- Out Of Love, Edward Kofi Louis
- Pagan To The Truth, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- avenues america, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)