A British PHILIPPIC
Occasioned by the insults of the Spaniards, and the present preperations for war. 1738.
Whence this unwonted transport in my breast?
Why glow my thoughts, and whither would the Muse
Aspire with rapid wing? Her country's cause
Demands her efforts: at that sacred call
She summons all her ardour, throws aside
The trembling lyre, and with the warrior's trump
She means to thunder in each British ear;
And if one spark of honour or of fame,
Disdain of insult, dread of infamy,
One thought of public virtue yet survive, 10
She means to wake it, rouse the generous flame,
With patriot zeal inspirit every breast,
And fire each British heart with British wrongs.
Alas, the vain attempt! what influence now
Can the Muse boast! or what attention now
Is paid to fame or virtue? Where is now
The British spirit, generous, warm, and brave,
So frequent wont from tyranny and woe
To free the suppliant nations? Where, indeed!
If that protection, once to strangers given, 20
Be now withheld from sons? Each nobler thought,
That warrn'd our sires, is lost and buried now
In luxury and avarice. Baneful vice!
How it unmans a nation! yet I'll try,
I'll aim to shake this vile degenerate sloth;
I'll dare to rouse Britannia's dreaming sons
To fame, to virtue, and impart around
A generous feeling of compatriot woes.
Mark Akenside's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A British PHILIPPIC by Mark Akenside )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(2 November 1994)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Poem of the Day
- चादंण रात, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- The Scheme, Tony Adah
- The Worry, Leong Ming Loong
- जो अब तन्हा ही निकला तो, ज़माना साथ चलता है, Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- ** अबोल मी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- जो देखू आज घर आँगन तो माँ की याद आती है., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- तुम्हारे इश्क में जीवन कहाँ, कैसे, गुज़ार.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- यहाँ हर सुख का साथी है यहाँ हर दुःख कंवा.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- यहाँ मेहमान तुम भी हो, यहाँ मेहमान हम भी.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- ** कविता ही प्रेमाची **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge