Treasure Island

Other Forms of Creative Writing

Share and discuss about other forms of creative writing: memoir, playwriting, short story, songwriting, ... etc
Post a message

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/9/2014 10:36:00 AM) Post reply

In literary works short story has an important roll to play. Short stories as the title itself represents are short in write ups but always have a message to tell the readers. Short stories are wonderfully written well known story writers and I had some experiences of reading short stories which I felt very beautiful.

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/6/2014 3:18:00 PM) Post reply

I love all other forms of creative writings, so I write tales, short stories, ...., ...., just to feel that great love for these things.

• Hannah Bryson- Price Rookie - 1st Stage (8/29/2014 6:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I enjoy songwriting and writing short stories [along with poetry]. Writing short stories comes to me more easily than songwriting though.

Replies for this message:
  • Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (8/23/2014 3:28:00 PM) Post reply

The pretty sea swims in its waters, It combs its waves to make them curled, It evaporates, then clouds are made over its head, ............... This is the pretty sea in its beauty and even in its moodiness........................... ???? ????? ?? ???? - ???? ?????? ??????? ????? - ????? ????? ????? ????? ??? ???? - ??? ?? ????? ?? ????? ? ??? ?? ???????...

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (8/22/2014 4:39:00 AM) Post reply

There a lot of free websites for writing stories, novels, short stories, poetry, ......................., so please check these websites like Figment. Thanks.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (6/28/2014 10:47:00 AM) Post reply

A poet is not an isolated personality. He is a person of the community and such social obligations. And participating in debates, writing essays and articles of social relevance is a good thing to an individual for making the world more beautiful through valued ideas and objections to the injustices, and go through the world events that I feel.

• Manauwer Raza Rookie - 1st Stage (4/26/2014 1:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Happiness is in the Detail:

For most of my life, people have been telling me that it’s all about the big picture. It was only very recently that I realized that they were all wrong.
    You see, big pictures are made up of a thousand details and if you ignore them, you ignore life. Life is but a very beautiful picture, if we take up all these small details and wind them up in our frame.

Often, we focus on the destination or the outcome and fail to take care of the detail.
    It’s like spending your time dreaming of that lifetime vacation without ever having a plan of how you are going to get there. A vacation where you walk beside the most beautiful person, you ever knew, talking to him/her, sharing these little details and speaking up your mind. Its when, the sun shines down your legs, there is a little perspiring drop on your neck, but you care not to wipe it, for you are so lost in these small talks, sharing the vacation of a lifetime.

AND HAPPINESS, it’s more profound than that.

It was this day that I realized, the mere meaning of my happiness.
    An early prayer of SALAT, devoted to the Almighty, when the sky was about to get crimson, and the twilight just fade. Looking up to the skies, a swift breeze touched my face and there wast his smile on my face. I thought back of a sweetheart and a simple reminder of her beautiful words, " TUM AISE HI NAH RAH SAKTE" made me smile to my fullest.
    I left my apartment in the morning much happier, I had seen the bright, crazy and beautiful smile of my roommate IRFAN. But the profound realization was that sometimes I left too early and missed his inspiring smile. No, it was the realization that the space that would have been filled with sadness was now filled with happiness and joy.

This started me on a simple task: to make a list of the things that make me happy and the things I could achieve this day to bring in the passion and excitement to my life.
    It was on this list that I found my smile - but also some fruit juice in my breakfast menu! ! !

And saying, “I love you forever, ” on the phone to my mum and hear her choke up a little because she never expects me calling her frequently and a note such as this, something far more unexpected.
    Hearing her say back to me that I will always be her little boy and how she remembers putting an extra spoon of sugar in my bowl of milk. You can only imagine, the gust of emotions I would have felt, missing her, hundred miles apart from home.

What else did I find on that list?
    Recognition, feeling worthy, making progress, loving and being loved. Saying " Thank You" , whenever possible, never having to say " Sorry" .
    Those are more complex details but nonetheless, they are details in the big picture of HAPPINESS.

I left my room, in search of this HAPPINESS and found it was just waiting outside, in people, who are too involved in their lives, that they don't get the time to celebrate their existence. So, I started a small campaign that at least, this day I would share my HUGs to them, who are in need of them. Starting with acquaintances, my downstairs fruit vendor, a little further, the ever smiling Biryani seller, and DHARAM Bhai, whose PARATHE makes up for most of my breakfast menu.
    There was this certain realization that each and every HUG that I gave, brought me more close to ME, and HAPPINESS, " YES" , I was feeling it, in them, in their eyes, in their smiles.

A couple of hour walk, found me roaming the busy streets of JULENA, and me searching hope in everyone, A small girl walking past me with her pony tail, the old man waiting at the bus stop and adjusting what were the last of his hairs on his head. A cyclist, whistling, and lost in his own little world, Oh yes! ! ! I was searching for this. Searching for the smallest details, which I always missed.
    I came back room and worked on the list and wasn't really able to make anything out of it. But I tried and found FLOWERS and CHOCOLATES are one of them things, bringing you the perfect sense of HAPPINESS.

Just as planned, I went to the FLORIST and bought me, a couple of bouquet, fresh crimson rose and the lilac blooming flowers, with I don't know what leaves, I had them. And waited outside HOLY FAMILY Hospital, just to buy me few more of smiles. And I waited. A couple of minute wait had me an elderly couple waiting on me and I knew they were happy; the gleam in their eyes was worth every anticipation. I handed over them the bouquet and in return got a blessing of a lifelong and healthy life. I never knew, flowers would bought me such blessings, HAPPINESS was in a combo pack today (:

The next I remember me, was in JAMIA college where I met, endearing SANA Appi, ever smiling VIBHA Ji and the girl with the most beautiful eyes KHUSHBOO. I tried to work on my list again and handed over them their share of happiness in the form of chocolates. And man, they were happy. So was I.

So far, my list has over six things on it that make me happy but the list is still growing.
    The list of things that make me sad or anxious is shorter because most of them would be the absence of what makes me happy so there’s no point in listing them out.

And my list took me to the next place: to ensure that every single day, I was focused on the detail of happiness, adding those moments in increasing quantity to my life.
    Then, subtracting the details that make me sad or anxious. And that means never missing the infectious smile on my face in the morning - even if I am late for me meeting me.

This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t step back once in a while to survey the horizon.
    But when we think about all the things we should be thankful for, we cannot miss the reality that they are all details.

Just as the devil is in the detail, so too is joy and happiness. If you take care of the details, the big picture will take care of itself.

• Herbert Guitang Rookie - 1st Stage (4/26/2014 5:53:00 AM) Post reply

Haiku form- 5 syllables- 7 - 5

Facebook (Haiku)

Add, Confirm, Delete
    Chat, Like, Comment, Unfriend, Blocked
    Friends – 0, MUTUAL- 1 (You)

• Coco Soup Rookie - 1st Stage (4/10/2014 2:36:00 AM) Post reply

More and more parents buy their children a toy, but have you ever thought about that why they buy a toy?It’s really benefitable to their children.

First, a toy helps children to learn to speak. You may notice that when playing with toys, children chat with them, even though nobody can understand what they say. However, it is the chat that can help children how to speak his mother tongue. With some help from the parents, the skills of using a language can develop fast.

Then, a toy helps children to learn the world around him or her. To some extent, a toy is something fresh to a little tiny. The colorful designs and the soft touches of the toys can stir their sight, auditory sense and touch sense.

Maybe stuffed dinosaur presents (toyswill.com) to children can teach them a lesson of how to accept others.

• John Brown Rookie - 1st Stage (11/9/2013 2:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello everyone (anyone) . It's my first post on this forum. I have lots of poems on the site, but wondered if it is acceptable to post a (very) short story here in the forum. Any advice would be welcome.

• Robert Graber Rookie - 1st Stage (4/15/2014 11:12:00 AM) Post reply

Hi, John. Thanks very much indeed for commenting on Uncle Ikey's Last Words #26!

[Hata Bildir]