Poetry Landmarks

This forum is for sharing and discussing speacial places which form poetry landmarks.
Post a message

• Gold Star - 12,268 Points Mohammad Skati (8/25/2014 4:24:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

This is a very important issue, so I would more members to discuss it fully. Thanks.

• Veteran Poet - 4,300 Points Tony Adah (7/28/2014 11:56:00 AM) Post reply

Hey poets, you want to draw inspiration from nature?Then come over to Obudu ranch resort in Cross River State, Nigeria. This is where to find the rolling hills, the hanging valleys, lush verdure, the canopy walkway, picturesque mountain gorillas all on a subtemperate altitude through a winding motor way or by a myriad of cable cars. Muse here bardly!

• Veteran Poet - 4,300 Points Tony Adah (7/28/2014 11:55:00 AM) Post reply

Hey poets, you want to draw inspiration from nature?Then come over to Obudu ranch resort in Cross River State, Nigeria. This is where to find the rolling hills, the hanging valleys, lush verdure, the canopy walkway, picturesque mountain gorillas all on a subtemperate altitude through a winding motor way or by a myriad of cable cars. Muse here bardly!

• Veteran Poet - 2,757 Points Brian Johnston (5/30/2014 10:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

There has been another passing of note besides the poet Maya Angelou who, though grievously wounded by life, bounced back to assert her place in Poetry's Hall of Fame and in the hearts of us all. The poet Beauteous Victory, who graced Poemhunter with her passion and her pain has also vanished from our lives, but far more grievously. We do not know her real name, can not commiserate personally with her anymore, or speak to her shared heart by writing poems to her poems. The only part of her that lives now on Poemhunter for any of us now are the 3 poems that she shared with Neethu Panicker and myself that she was not able to erase, and did not ask us to take down.

Beauteous Victory too was a black woman with great heart, a poet who achieved the upper echelons of Poemhunter's popularity poll. Though we may never know her fate, her voice abides in our hearts. She is now and will be missed. She is now and will be still loved for many years by her friends on Poemhunter.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Bronze Star - 5,108 Points Edgar Stevens (8/6/2013 3:53:00 AM) Post reply

Poem Hunter Poetry Contest has officially started. You can enter with your favorite poem now or write a new one and submit it before August 31st,2013.

Prize is $1,000 for the winner and $250 for the 2nd and 3rd place..

You can write in any poetic style and on any subject.

Entering the contest is free.

Details: http://www.poemhunter.com/contest/

• Rookie Troy Bowden (10/23/2012 4:22:00 PM) Post reply

My landmark is my music I know it sounds sad but it's true. Also please give me feedback on stories and poems.
    http://poemsbytroyb.blogspot.com

• Rookie - 155 Points Ellias Aghili (7/15/2012 9:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hi darling poets. i offer you to come and visit the Grave of Great Hafez in Iran. he is the Master of sonnets.
    its a nice poetry landmark.

• Rookie - 155 Points Daniel Brick (12/16/2014 11:30:00 PM) Post reply

Thank you for your invitation. I would be honored to honor Hafez at the site of his immortality. Hafez was the first poet of the Persian tradition I encountered through two western poets who were his ... more

• Rookie - 1 Points Joseph Brown (5/2/2012 8:47:00 AM) Post reply

For me, the Botanical Gardens here in NY is a great landmark for me

• Poemhunter Moderator (3/2/2012 7:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Poetry Landmarks: Kerouac House

Jack Kerouac lived in this home at the time On the Road made him a national sensation. Kerouac also wrote his follow-up, The Dharma Bums, at this location during eleven frenetic days and nights. Today, the Kerouac House gives tours of the house and The Kerouac Project provides four residencies a year to writers.

Project Website:
    http: //kerouacproject.org/

More about Kerouac and his poems on Poemhunter
    http: //www.poemhunter.com/jack-kerouac/

• Freshman - 2,110 Points Ross Mackay (4/26/2012 4:47:00 PM) Post reply

This link doesn't seem to be working, for me at least. Where is this place?I'm visiting America this year and my want to have a look

• Poemhunter Moderator (12/16/2011 3:45:00 AM) Post reply

Poet's homes, hometowns, inspiring places, bookstores, libraries, bars, birthplaces, graves and memorial places, ...etc associated with writers and poets are unique poetry landmarks.

This forum is for sharing and discussing speacial places which form poetry landmarks.

The first landmark of the forum will be City Lights Bookstore.

City Lights is an independent bookstore-publisher combination that specializes in world literature, the arts, and progressive politics. It also houses the nonprofit City Lights Foundation, which publishes selected titles related to San Francisco culture. It was founded in 1953 by poet Lawrence Ferlinghetti and Peter D. Martin (who left two years later) .

In 1955, Ferlinghetti became the store’s sole owner and launched City Lights Publishers in order to present the work of the Beat poets, who were having difficulty finding a place for their writing with mainstream, East Coast publishers.

Both the store and the publishers became widely known following the obscenity trial of Ferlinghetti for publishing Allen Ginsberg's influential poem Howl and Other Poems (City Lights,1956) .

In 2001 the store was named a local landmark by the city because of its 'seminal role in the literary and cultural development of San Francisco and the nation, for stewarding and restoring City Lights Bookstore, for championing First Amendment protections, and for publishing and giving voice to writers and artists everywhere.'

City Lights is located at the nexus of North Beach and Chinatown in San Francisco.

Official site of the bookstore: http: //www.citylights.com/

[Hata Bildir]