Treasure Island

News and Current Events

This forum is for discussions on politics, current events and world news.
Post a message

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/8/2014 3:41:00 AM) Post reply

Politics and political theories must be intended for the total welfare of the people of the countries of their work area. The nations have such noble responsibilities to face the challenges of poverty, illiteracy, natural calamities, energy crisis, unemployment, infrastructure facilities non developmental issues, environmental issues, which have to tackled in such vigor and energetic way of thinking. Effective governance of the countries are a responsibilities of authorities where law and order and protection of citizens are a solemn responsibility. We can expect these goals through earnest efforts and co operation between the nations in coming years which is an expectation for the time being.

• Mohammad Skati Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (8/22/2014 4:37:00 AM) Post reply

In spite of the bad news here and there, but I see good news somewhere........... August 19th was the Humanitarian Day...................

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (6/28/2014 10:42:00 AM) Post reply

We are witnessing some war like situations which disturbs peace and security of innocent citizens. I think that world organisation like UNO 's efforts to solve the world porblems in such vigorous activity is to be initiated for a better and peaceful world where human safety have paramount interest.

• Ron Price Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (5/18/2014 7:49:00 PM) Post reply

Sir Jack Brabham, a three-time Formula One world drivers' champion and icon of world motor sport, has died. I post below a prose-poem that I wrote some time ago and which I have updated on hearing of Jack's death today.-Ron Price, Tasmania
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BRABHAM

Part 1:

I was never that interested in car racing, racing teams, Formula One world championship driving and drivers; indeed, sports in general after my teens took a distant place in my interest inventory. In addition, I have always had a low mechanical interest and aptitude. I never did well in basic woodwork and metalwork, what we used to call “shop” in high school, and I had little interest in cars and mechanics, in motorcycles and, indeed, anything, any gadget or appliance with a lot of parts. If any of these things needed fixing it was off to the repair man. In my second marriage, my wife had a high mechanical aptitude and interest. She took care of all the stuff that needed fixing. I did not marry my wife for her skills in this area, but marriage to my second wife, a Tasmanian, has proved useful on many fronts, fronts I knew little about when we married some 40 years ago.

Tonight, though, I watched with interest a brief life-story of Jack Brabham.(1) Brabham enlisted in the RAAF the year I was born,1944. He was then 18. In 1959, the year I joined the Bahá'í Faith, Brabham won the World Championship in car racing, after winning the Monaco Grand Prix. Fifty-five years ago, as I update this original comment on Brabham, then, this racing legend cemented his name in motor-sport history by becoming the first Australian to be crowned Formula One world champion. In 1962, the first year of my own travelling-pioneering away from my home town in Ontario, Brabham drove for his own team, the Brabham Racing Organization. The year 1962 was one of the 20th century's crucial years. In October global civilization came as close as it ever has thusfar to global catastrophe, a nuclear war.

Part 2:

The 1966 Jack earned a further place in motor-sport history by becoming the first, and so far the only, driver to secure the F1 championship in a car of his own creation. It was a feat unlikely to be repeated. I graduated from McMaster University in Hamilton Ontario that year, in May in sociology. For ten weeks that summer I sold ice-cream for the Good Humour Company at 80+ hours per week. On average new employees with this famous ice-cream company lasted only two to three weeks because of the long hours. Good Humor became unprofitable beginning in 1968 and by then I was teaching primary school among the Inuit on Baffin Island. -Ron Price with thanks to (1) ABC1, “Australian Story, ” 8: 00-8: 30 p.m.,17 August 2009.

You were only a name on
    the very periphery of my
    life back then the 1960s,
    Jack, along with Stirling
    Moss & the many Grand
    Prix racing-men around
    the world. I always had
    my hands full with just
    getting through my days:
    my studies, my psycho-
    emotional life, the embryo
    of my career......a new
    religion—I was simply
    too busy, Jack, to include
    you in my constellation of
    interests. You’ve become
    an Aussie hero, Jack, and
    gudonyer, Jack, gudonyer,
    and all your racing mates.

Ron Price
    17/9/'09 to 19/5/'14.

• Beryl Dov Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2013 9:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

have you gotten this message from Poemhunter:
    " Poemhunter wants you to feel free to express yourselves and your ideas in your poems and forum messages.
    That said, there are certain guidelines in place to keep Poemhunter a safe and friendly environment."
    What a spin, worthy of a veteran politician. The first line celebrates free expression;
    That said, the second line is an endorsement of censorship.
    YOU CAN'T HAVE BOTH.
    " a safe and friendly environment" - FOR WHO?THE 15% OF YOUR AUDIENCE THAT IS UNDER 18?
    I'm on another site, hellopoetry.com' that has a box marked 'explicit' to click if your material is for a mature audience. That is the perfect compromise. When you sign up for poemhunter, the webmaster can see the date of birth you entered in your profile. If on the day the poem is published, you're not 18, the poem marked explicit is hidden from your view. It's simple programming.
    What can't poemhunter do this and stop censoring the 85% majority of it's users.
    I recently submitted a sarcastic piece about neo-Nazism and the pieced was censored becaused it used that horrific, heinous, profane word, 'b*tch.' Excuse me, but isn't neo-Nazism the greater profanity?
    We're not in tigh-assed Victorian times. Please, poemhunter staff, take a leap into the 21st century. Your standards are archaic and in conflict with the true meaning of poetry.
    Poets, what are your feelings?Express yourself freely...

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Edgar Stevens Rookie - 1st Stage (8/6/2013 3:53:00 AM) Post reply

Poem Hunter Poetry Contest has officially started. You can enter with your favorite poem now or write a new one and submit it before August 31st,2013.

Prize is $1,000 for the winner and $250 for the 2nd and 3rd place..

You can write in any poetic style and on any subject.

Entering the contest is free.

Details: http://www.poemhunter.com/contest/

• Edgar Stevens Rookie - 1st Stage (8/6/2013 3:51:00 AM) Post reply

Poem Hunter Poetry Contest has officially started. You can enter with your favorite poem now or write a new one and submit it before August 31st,2013.

Prize is $1,000 for the winner and $250 for the 2nd and 3rd place..

You can write in any poetic style and on any subject.

Entering the contest is free.

Details: http://www.poemhunter.com/contest/

• Donnaj York Rookie - 1st Stage (5/17/2013 6:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

AAAAAAaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggggg! ! ! ! ! ! !

Replies for this message:
    • Donnaj York (6/16/2013 12:07:00 AM) Post reply

Urgent Breaking News! ! The escaped inmates, that are running the world........are all off their meds!

• Donnaj York (5/31/2013 10:54:00 PM) Post reply

Update....the aslym inmates have escaped and are running the world.

• Donnaj York (5/30/2013 9:58:00 PM) Post reply

CLEARLY.....the inmates are running the asylum.

• Christopher Storen Rookie - 1st Stage (5/9/2013 10:42:00 PM) Post reply

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
    Who was very rarely stable.
    Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
    Who could think you under the table.
    David Hume could out-consume
    Schopenhauer and Hegel,
    And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
    Who was just as schloshed as Schlegel.

There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach ya
    ' 'Bout the raising of the wrist.
    SOCRATES, HIMSELF, WAS PERMANENTLY PISSED...

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will,
    On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill.
    Plato, they say, could stick it away;
    Half a crate of whiskey every day.

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle,
    Hobbes was fond of his dram,
    And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart:
    " I drink, therefore I am"

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed;
    A lovely little thinker but a bugger when he's pissed!

• Thomas. A. Rees Rookie - 1st Stage (4/8/2013 3:33:00 PM) Post reply

To forgive is a must do,
    To love is a must.
    To must be, I AM.

[Hata Bildir]