Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (8/27/2013 12:43:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Issac, I've read your " poetic paragraphs" (my term for prose poems) and sent you a private message. Of course, it's my habitual message to all aspiring poets—you can't improve or even write good work in a vacuum. You need to immerse yourself in the best contemporary poetry.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Lamont Palmer (8/28/2013 7:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Poetry must be the only craft where a lack of knowledge and experience is worn as a badge of honor; conversely, appearing to know the craft very well and to be learned is thought to be arrogant and 'elitist'. No other artform seems to embrace such an anti-intellectual stance. -LP

Replies for this message:
    • delilah contrapunctal (8/29/2013 7:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

ah, but it does happen elsewhere, unfortunately..musicians and.painters have long been subject to being criticized by those who reject the new and declare the various histories of their arts to be end ... more

[Hata Bildir]