Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

S. A. S. Female, 62, United States (8/17/2013 8:42:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

I thnk if JC didn't get after " musky scent" below, then he is really snowed under by kinder & gentler.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 759 Points Lamont Palmer (8/17/2013 1:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

You have to know when to be an uncompromising lit crit, or when to just say 'nice job' about a poem that may be sappy but seems to make most readers feel good. Pick your fights. That was a terrible one to engage in. -LP

• Rookie - 759 Points Jefferson Carter (8/17/2013 5:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, maybe, but from a totally personal perspective the poem acted like a pail of lukewarm piss poured on the embers of my empathy f\or the firefighters. I suspect bad art makes us numb to experienc ... more

• Rookie - 589 Points Jefferson Carter (8/17/2013 10:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, friends and " fans, " I just took it in the shorts publicly for my nasty comments about a poem printed in our local newspaper. The poem lionized some firefighters killed north of Tucson. I trashed it for being bad Hallmark verse, and the letters poured in, attacking my appalling lack of compassion for a " heart-felt" poem. Now my wife isn't speaking to me either. Maybe there is something to this " kinder and gentler" ?

• Rookie - 589 Points S. A. S. (8/17/2013 10:03:00 PM) Post reply

JEWEL said " only kiindness matters" - I guess there's something to it. . I guess you can't expect the local newspaper to be literary and newsworthy. A cousin of mine (without my permissi ... more

[Hata Bildir]