Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (6/15/2013 7:53:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Problems again: belly of the beast is a cliche. At least no irritating rhyme going on, but your clusters of adjective-noun phrases (vague trace, carnal recall) have an annoying sameness. I'd suggest stop writing and immerse yourself in some good contemporary writers. Otherwise, there's no way you'll improve as a poet. Doing the same things over and over with little guidance insures you won't grow.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Alice Vedral Rivera (6/16/2013 7:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Thanks for the review JC. You know I am never going to write like you as I don't particularly care for a lot of your poems, but I really do like Litter Box and your newer poems are more palatable.

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter (6/16/2013 11:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Alice, I'd never want you to write like me. what I'd want for your work is a sense of growth, of mastery of line break and line rhythm, the presence of intense and original figures of speech, a sense ... more

[Hata Bildir]