Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Alice Vedral Rivera Alice Vedral Rivera Female, 64, United States (6/15/2013 4:54:00 PM)

JC - That was a very good critique of a poem I wrote in 1998. How about this one written in 2007.....

Deprivation

Seduced by vague trace
of carnal recall
separated
by time warped constraint
of restricted lust

Stranded in canyons
flooded with hunger
we writhe - twisting
and turning in the
belly of the beast

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 592 Points Jefferson Carter (6/15/2013 7:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Problems again: belly of the beast is a cliche. At least no irritating rhyme going on, but your clusters of adjective-noun phrases (vague trace, carnal recall) have an annoying sameness. I'd suggest stop writing and immerse yourself in some good contemporary writers. Otherwise, there's no way you'll improve as a poet. Doing the same things over and over with little guidance insures you won't grow.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 592 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (6/16/2013 7:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Thanks for the review JC. You know I am never going to write like you as I don't particularly care for a lot of your poems, but I really do like Litter Box and your newer poems are more palatable.

• Rookie - 324 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (6/15/2013 6:33:00 PM) Post reply

Correction - Deprivation was written in 2008.

[Hata Bildir]